Just an observation....


Disclaimer: Generalizations and (perhaps pretentious) philosophizing to follow.

European musician: Do you speak Spanish?
Me: Not a word.
European musician:  So why are you doing this Spanish song masterclass?
Me: Because I’m curious about Spanish music and I want to learn?!?!  (Baffled, thinking to myself “Is it so strange that I want to learn about Spanish music even though I don’t speak Spanish?)

This question really caught me off-guard, as did the context of the situation: I was the only participant in this masterclass who didn’t speak Spanish.  Back home it’s totally normal for singers to intensively study repertoire in a language they don’t speak.  I think this is partly due to the fact that North American anglophones generally don’t speak other languages (study yes, but don’t speak), but also because North Americans value a broad musical education.  Do Europeans consider it inauthentic to perform song repertoire in a language they don’t speak, or are they not interested, or are they just too busy paying homage to their own country's musical legacy?  I'll let you know when I find out.