Allerheiligen in Wien

This post is shamefully late; I should have posted at the beginning of November.  Apologies.
Here's a blurb about a quick trip to Vienna to audition for the Konzertvereinigung der Wiener Staasoper (the chorus of the Salzburg Festival).  It was a mad-dash...I received the invitation to audition on a Tuesday, and the next Tuesday I was on the plane!  I ran into Maestro Timothy Vernon on the plane from Toronto to Vienna...what a coincidence!  

I auditioned the same afternoon I arrived in Vienna, having been up for 36 hours in a dehydrating airplane.  Oh the joys of international auditions.

When I arrived at the Staatsoper for my audition, I looked around for a place to warm-up (of course there was none and I was was relegated to a bathroom).  After an hour of waiting outside the room I was supposed to be auditioning, with no one in sight, I finally asked a stage-hand if the audition room had been moved.  He said that yes indeed, they had.  (Great - thanks for telling me.) 

 So off I went to the other side of the building, and sure enough, there they were.
I checked in, and guess what - I was not even on their audition list!  (cue heart-attack - I had flown thousands of kilometres and spent piles of money for this audition).

Thankfully (or unthankfully), the Austrians are pretty relaxed, and they were able to fit me in.  So I chatted with some other singers I knew from Uni and the Stephansdom Choir and waited for my turn.

I arrived in the audition room, and was told that they hadn't received the e-mail I sent confirming that I would indeed be participating in the auditions.  Well, that explains it.  (I later discovered that they had received it, but had not "processed" it).

The audition went swimmingly, and I skipped off to meet my friend Nora at the Theater an der Wien, where we watched a production of "Idomeneo" that a few of my friends were performing in.

Then I had a few days to spend with friends and enjoy Vienna.




This is Sara-Bigna and I at the Musikverein in Vienna, witnessing the genius of Ricardo Muti conducting the Verdi Requiem.  Sara-Bigna surprised me with 2nd row seats on my last evening before leaving Vienna.  Talk about surround-sound!


Here's Sara-Bigna and I at the Zentral Friedhof, paying our respects to Schubert on Allerheiligen (All Saint's Day).  

The good news is that the audition was successful, and I did get offered a position in the Chorus of "Fidelio" at the Salzburg Festival.  But after reviewing the fine-print of my contract and crunching some numbers, I discovered that it wasn't going to be financially feasible to commit my summer to this project - especially since I was going to have to pay my own travel and accommodation expenses.  Again, the joys of international performing life :S