Standing Room Only



I just LOVE the "standing room" concept.  I picked up a standing room ticket for Les Contes d'Hoffmann at the Theater an der Wien last week-end, and quite enjoyed it.  I paid 7 euros to stand during the first act, then I snuck down to an empty parterre seat for the second act and got the full experience for the rest of the performance.  It was a very interesting production - a modern concept (most european productions seem to be), but with some beautiful costumes nonetheless.  The Mezzo was dressed in a black pant-suit, and accessorized with red stilettos as the Muse, and red skater shoes as Nicklausse.  The soprano (Marlis Peterson) played all three of Hoffmann's lady loves - wow.  Canadian John Relyea was the bass - he was excellent, of course.  The Theater an der Wien is the only Viennese house that puts on operas during the summer.  They have also premiered a new production every month since 2006.  Impressive!  I'm disappointed that I'll miss their production of La Donna del Lago in August starring Malena Ernmann (one of my favourites!).  The good news is that she guests here a lot.  I'm so excited for the amazing (and affordable) theatre that awaits this season!